The 1950s

The Fabulous Fifties...

Tekoppel was remodeled in 1950 and kindergarten through sixth grade were in the original building. In the 1950-1951 school year, Tekoppel conducted several fundraisers such as a chicken supper, greeting card sale, and outdoor movies during the summer. After the fundraisers were complete, the school always chose a charity to which they could donate some of the money they raised. During this year, Tekoppel donated $74.87 to the "March of Dimes." The Tekoppel community was annexed into the city during the spring of 1951, and Tekoppel became a city school in the fall of 1951. It was comprised of six grades and a kindergarten.
During the 1951-1952 school year, a school nurse was hired, and Tekoppel had a health room. Class sizes increased, and a portable classroom that was used in previous years was put back into use to accommodate the growing school.
In 1952-1953, "The Dads' Club" purchased drapes for the portable classroom, and they also bought and installed a system which was able to bring cooled drinking water to all the fountains in the building. A water fountain was installed in the basement for the kindergarten students to use. During this year Mr. Marvin Smith, our custodian, was honored by the school and the city for the work he did at Tekoppel School. In fact, he was known as "Grandpa" to the students for the eight years he was at Tekoppel.
In 1953-1954, "The Dads' Club" purchased a public address system, a radio, a kiln, and some new dishes. A curfew for all underage children was started by the city, and children on the streets after 10 P.M. were picked up by the police and taken home.
From 1954-1956, "The Dads' Club" purchased new material for Band and Orchestra capes. A citywide clothing drive was sponsored by area principals and the PTA council. Fundraising projects included a bake sale, spaghetti supper, and knitwear sale. There were problems this year due to the installation of a new sanitary sewer being laid in the Tekoppel district and the beginning of the construction on Highway 62, now known as the Lloyd Expressway.
From 1957-1959, many different events took place that improved the quality of life for Evansville residents and the families of students that attended Tekoppel School. Flouridation of the Evansville water supply was endorsed during the 1957-1958 school year. Sidewalks were laid around the school and a "Bookmobile," a traveling library, began making stops at Tekoppel School on Tuesdays. Through joint efforts of the faculty and PTA, a fence was put through the center of the highway to keep students from crossing the highway. A television set was purchased in September of 1959, and it was to be used in TV classes which were offered daily. Land adjacent to Tekoppel, 2.33 acres which included 11 homes, was acquired for $122,000. This land was to be used for an addition to the present school. On April 28, 1959, the Evansville paper announced plans for the Tekoppel addition; 22 classrooms, a kitchen and cafeteria, an auditorium, and administrative offices because the principal's office was being housed in the upstairs hallway of the old building.