School History

Tekoppel School began in 1909 as a four room brick building.  Each room had its own heating stove.  There was no basement or indoor plumbing.  Students brought their lunches.  If they had to use the restroom, they had to go to the outhouse.  Indoor plumbing was installed at Tekoppel in 1934.  ??Kindergarten began in 1938 in the basement.  Tekoppel was the first county school in the state of Indiana to have a public kindergarten.  In 1940, Tekoppel students could enjoy a hot lunch for 15 cents.  They could also get a glass of orange juice for just one penny!

Tekoppel was remodeled in 1950 and kindergarten through sixth grade were in the original building.  In 1962, the "new" building was completed.  Tekoppel became a K-8 school.  In 1984, the EVSC changed from a K-8 system.  Tekoppel became a K-5 elementary school and middle schools were established.  Beginning in 1984 and continuing through today, Tekoppel students go to Helfrich Park S.T.E.M. Academy for sixth through eighth grades.  Then our former Tekoppel Tigers are on to Reitz High School.

Throughout its long history, students from many places in the United States and the world have attended Tekoppel.  Families and alumni take great pride in Tekoppel as new generations of the same families move into the district so their children can attend Tekoppel. In 2009, Tekoppel celebrated our centennial!  What an accomplishment!  In 2013, we were the proud recipients of a makeover from the Outreach to Teach program.  Our school's campus was spruced up inside and out and our new mascot and school colors were added to the decor inside.  Stop by sometime and see our Tiger Pride!